Monday, June 9, 2014

I am coming back!

Hello people who read DOARS!

I've been absent for many, many months. I'm coming up on my wedding anniversary and I think I wrote a bit after getting married, but still, for the better part of a year the DOARS have been abandoned. Poor guys, but I checked in on them recently, and they seem to be managing.

In my personal life, as some of you have said (Susan! :D ), everything is moving VERY fast. Yes, I couldn't agree more! I got married in a whirlwind kind of way that was still perfect for me and hubby. I couldn't be happier with him. I was worried that we'd have a lot of issues and fight a lot or that we'd get like six months in and be like- what the heck were we thinking?!? Fortunately that didn't happen. Yes, we've had our issues, everyone does, but I've never been like- man, I should have waited longer to marry him. Thank goodness! As far as the pregnancy goes, tho... Yeah, that is way too soon. I don't feel prepared or ready, I don't really feel like we're at a spot in our marriage where we really want to be adding another to our family, but oh well! Accidents happen, and we'll be ok, and when the baby is born in January I'm sure we'll love her (or him) and be just as happy as possible with the little addition.

Back to sims!

I just wanted to make an official post saying that I am coming back soon, I came up with an idea to get past Raquel's thing that doesn't make me sob uncontrollably (HORMONES!) and in between my bouts of morning sickness I've been playing through it.

Now for the semi-bad news. Or different. Or, idk, just news, I'm thinking pretty seriously about turning this into a regular legacy instead of a random legacy. I haven't totally decided, but it's something that I'm considering. So I'm gonna let you guys weigh in on it!

I'm not going to do a poll, cos then if you said you must stick with Random legacy, I'd feel very obligated to oblige, and meh. But in the comments below feel free to leave your pros and cons. I'll start with a few here!

Regular Legacy: PROs
More freedom to tell the DOARS story my way
More freedom to play sims the way I want. I've been playing lots of sims recently, but it's been other families because there are game play points that I'm interested in that the DOARS can't do.
I'd be able to follow how the DOARS feel a bit more. I still feel Lynn and Cycl0n3 should have had another baby, and if it had been a regular legacy, they would have.

Regular Legacy: CONs
Very little structure- it's easy to lose interest when the objective is as abstract as making it to a certain generation.
... and that's all I got really.
See why I need pro and con help?


1 comment:

  1. Whee! I'm so excited to have you coming back!

    And I'm really happy to know that your marriage has worked out so well.

    BTW: I was out of simming for exactly a year, I think, around the birth of my kid. I came back whens he was five months old. I'd rather not lose you for so long :).

    Re: Random Legacies. I see the appeal, but they don't match my natural play style very well. I tend to prefer to randomize a few traits and then build an idea of the character's goals and story out of that rather than start with the goal and build a character to match. Plus there are even more uncomfortable things like how many kids to have and whether or not your patron(ess)'s marriage will survive. Or choosing the heir, which has already given you trouble.

    I really like your story justification for Raquel and her husband working in careers that don't suit them. However, once you've played that storyline, you don't really need to do it again if you don't want to.

    I agree that getting to 10 generations is just not enough. You need *some* plans for how you're going to play. Regular Legacies/Pinstar Legacies do have subgoals, though. You get a point for every LTW achieved, for example, and of course the portraits -- though portrait painting is in itself not terribly motivating and kind of a pain since someone with painting at level 6 (I think -- whatever it takes to do landscapes) or if you're a purist, level 8, has to be available every generation. I love having the portraits though.

    You could try a Wishacy, though that might be TOO constraining. If I ever get out from under the 3 challenges I'm running, I'm going to do a Wishacy.

    I've seen several people add some supplemental rules to their challenges involving wishes, like wishes of the patron(ess) must be fulfilled -- that's looser than the stronger Wishacy rule that you can ONLY do things the sim wishes for and must otherwise stay on autonomy. Myself, I use wishes as a clue to what my sims are thinking about and use it along with traits to inform the way I play them.

    This is just brainstorming, so I'll shut up now :).

    BTW: It looks like Lynn's daughter with Sebastian Hodgins is going to marry into my legacy! Ha!

    ReplyDelete