Wednesday, October 23, 2013

DOARS- Week 9, Day 7- Little Miracles

Welcome back! For those of you who are monitoring Raquel's pregnancy, you may be very excited to see this post, as she's due to give birth today! Yay! I'm excited, you're excited, we're all excited, so let's get on with it, eh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Diary,

This morning when I woke up, the other members of the family were going about their business much like they always do.


My father was messing around with his genetic experiments.


My husband was messing around with his scientific experiments.



And I woke up feeling very strange. On my way to find Rommich, I realized why.

Rommich rushed me to the hospital, and just two hours later we went home with William.

When we got back home, my mother was tending to the garden. A task she immediately left to come coo over William and tell me that he looks just like his father. That's true, William does look an awful lot like Rommich. Actually, he doesn't look anything like me. If I hadn't just given birth to him, I might wonder if he was really mine.


My dad was waiting for us in the newly furnished nursery section of our room. His baby girl had just had a baby of her own, and he was so happy, and trying so hard not to cry. It was touching, really. My father was a quiet man who kept his feeling close to his chest, seeing him so moved over William made me love my father even more. He was going to be a great grand-father.


William was such a little thing. He fell asleep in my arms before we even came home. It almost stirred something inside me. Almost.

My mother took him until she had to go to work. She said I needed to rest and recuperate after having a baby, but I saw the look in her alien eyes. The joy of being a grandmother was tempered by fear and sadness. I'm not William's mother, and she could tell. Well, genetically I'm his mother, but the bond just wasn't there and I couldn't hide that from her.

While my mother watched William, Rommich rushed off for his mandatory singing in the park. The minimum he was obligated to perform every day was two hours. I might have resented him for it, for leaving his brand new baby for a few hours, but I didn't. I only wished that I could have gone with him.

I know what I'm supposed to feel for William and I don't feel it. I'm supposed to love him, to want to hold him... I'm supposed to feel something, but I can barely look at him. The only thing I feel when I hear him whimper is guilt. I never should have had him.

My brother came over as Rommich was getting home. He needed to talk about the assignment I'd be starting as soon as my maternity leave was up. I tried to pay attention, really I did. It was something about breaking into the local concert hall and then delivering the goods.. somewhere, but I couldn't focus, my thoughts were consumed by the fact that I was going to have to be home with William for the next four work days, while my parents hovered, and watched me like a hawk; while they were probably judging me for everything I did wrong as a mother.


As soon as my brother left an intense exhaustion came over me and I excused myself to bed. Maybe the only thing that was wrong with me was being worn out after giving birth. Maybe when I wake up I'll feel like a mother. That must be it... right?

But that night, something very strange happened...
~~~~~~~~~~~

I've often said of my stories that they take a mind of their own and I just write them as I feel fit. Maybe that's why my writing style isn't consistent and my stories never get finished, lol. But still, I wanted William to be what Raquel needed to start feeling some joy. I really did... but... she just wasn't having it. When William was born Raquel just wasn't feeling it, despite being a Family Oriented sim.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Your description of her depression is just wrenching. Oh, poor Raquel.

    If this is what the story is telling you, then tell it that way. A character cannot conquer adversity if there is no adversity. But holy crap. I had post-partum depression. It takes me back :(.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I discovered your legacy a week ago and finally caught up with it. I really hope you will pop up again with more of Raquel's story. Especially with that cliffie at the end! I hope everything is alright with your life and this pause is simply a lack of time because of exciting things! :) well know that you have another follower that will stick around for a while xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything in life is chaotic! Lol, but good, really good. I've been working a lot more and it's hard to find free time- but DOARS is still really near and dear to my heart and I want to pick it up again. The only thing now is I just found out I'm (unexpectedly) expecting my first baby, and I seriously doubt I will be able to write Raquel's post-partum now, just thinking about it breaks my heart. I'll have to figure something out to get around it...

      Delete
    2. Oh! You're still around! Good heavens your life is moving fast. I was married for 7 years before we had our kid. But I realize that we tend to drag our feet on these things. Seems like life mirrors Sims -- Lynn had a big surprise with Cyclone, didn't she. Heheh.

      Raquel needs something to show her the joy in life again. I realize that Sims is not exactly the most important thing in your life right now, but it's the way we get to "hang out" in the intarwebs, so I hope you find your way back. :)

      Delete
    3. I know right! We were hoping to wait a little (or a lot) longer! :) It'll be ok, though, I'm sure we'll be ready by the time the little one comes.... I hope.

      Good point, I'll try to conjure up something like that for Raquel! I really would like to come back to the DOARS, it's so hard to find the time! But I suppose if I wait too much longer it will be impossible to find it, lol! I do have a plan brewing for the little family, so I may be able to find some time next week to set it in action. :)

      Delete
    4. FWIW, we had a horrible first year with our daughter. More horrible than most -- she has a health issue that was horrifying until we got her on the right medication, and you should really never do that to a new mom; I got kind of insane for a while.

      But that's just the first chapter of the story. She was more than worth that first year. Now I have to resist getting into all that goopy romantic crap about how parenthood is the most transcendent thing you can do with your life.

      I got such insane advice while I was pregnant. Most of it was either crazy-terrifying, ("Sleep now, because it'll be the best sleep you get until the kid is 18!") or over-the-top ("Parenthood is the one thing that gives you meaning in life!"), so I want to throw my story out there to say that even if parenthood takes a little while to get awesome, there's a great chance it will get REALLY awesome.

      Come to think of it, when our kiddo started taking her first steps and learning her first words, it was like everything changed and became brighter. Maybe you can use some of that for poor Raquel's PPD, eh :).

      Delete