Thursday, October 3, 2013

DOARS- Week 9 Day 5- The Smuggler and The Singer

Welcome back! After several months and edits on the most recent chapters, I'm sure you guessed that a new chapter would come out before too long. I apologize for my melodramatic-ness and the halt on the DOARS.  Everything's so much better now and as long as the inspiration flows, the DOARS will, too!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Diary,

Waking up to a house full of activity is just the thing to make one feel left out. It's like when you're a kid and you get sent to bed early cos you need your sleep, but your parents are still up watching tv. Or if you wake up extra late on Saturday morning, only to hear voices in the kitchen and when you get there the last bite of the last gooey cinnamon roll is going into your brother's mouth. It's these kinds of memories that I have when I first wake up... pretty much every day now.



And then I remember. Those silly memories are down right happiness compared to the remembering. For just a moment when I wake up, I'm a little girl wondering what her family's been up to while she slept. Then I remember. I'm a smuggler. I steal from good people to rebuild a civilization on another planet. Not that that is a terrible goal, but... me, a thief? I have values. I have morals. I'm family oriented, I'm good. Really I am, deep down, I'm a good person, isn't there a way I can help the cause that doesn't involve living a life of guilt?

Not only that, but I'm going to be a mother soon. The signs are undeniable. Rommich and I are going to be parents. How will we raise a child and teach it to live a good life, when we can't set a good example?

My parents are good, honest people. They're upstanding citizens. My mother led a clean life in spite of fame and fortune. She showed celebrities that they can resist the snare and temptations associated with stardom. My father found comfort in the ground, in getting his hands dirty with hard work. There's no way that I can do as good a job parenting as they did.


We weren't the only ones facing that dilemma. My brother called to reconnect with Rommich and talk about the same problem. Or a similar one anyway. His assignment was to become the emperor of evil. Only his problem, I'll admit, was more severe than my own, because he loved it, and he hated loving it. It's no secret that my brother is evil. He tries so very hard to be good, he came so far and did so well to be the best sim he could be, to resist that ever lurking dark side. How could they do this to him? If he was surrounded by evil, surely he'd succumb.

It was a sad reality that I had to face. Someday I was going to lose my brother. This would surely destroy his life, his marriage, his children, who he had tried so hard to be.

But the counsel wasn't done with us yet. Zhiddezoe called Rommich out for one last assignment. My scientifically minded husband was going to be pulled in another direction. All this just so that we could be together.





He came home, late, exhausted, his voice hoarse and told me his assignment. The smuggler and the singer. They could not have picked two roles less suited to us. But they knew that already.




My parents left the house to get away from all the gloom and doom. The house was filled with it, no doubt. Rommich and I just started our lives together. We were so excited, so happy, so in love, so eager to build our future. Then we had the rug ripped from beneath our feet. We'll get through it together, we'll make it, we'll figure out how to be happy, but this isn't the life I was expecting, and it's going to be a struggle for sure.

At least my parents can find comfort in each other, though. They were each other's island.

Their happy outing ended in heartbreak. Zhiddezoe passed away. We'd had our ups and downs with her, to be sure. What she wanted and what we wanted never quite lined up, but she was a good woman. As her soul faded away she whispered, "I'm sorry, I tried to save them."

She fought to the last for the greater good, and I will forever remember her as one of the most honorable people I've ever known.

Over the morose burnt dinner, my husband announced my pregnancy. It had to be done, after all pregnancies only lasted so long, but the timing couldn't have been worse.

My first child should have been a period of rejoicing, but no rejoicing could be done. Our emotions raw, our futures uncertain, how could we rejoice that a new life would be thrown into this hell-hole?

Starlight Shores was going to be the death of us.

Unprepared as always,

Raquel Thobanob

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is just too dark for me, I'm going to have to find a way to lighten it up!

I thought this was great, though! As soon as Zhidd died, Lynn got this wish. Aww, I'm gonna miss that questionable old lady.


2 comments:

  1. I got all giddy when I saw a new DOARS post.

    This one really is bleak. You've done amazing things with the arbitrary assignments of the Random Legacy. But, you know, things aren't terribly happy with the Samples right now either. Your characters can't overcome adversity when there's no adversity. I shall soldier on and hope it gets better. And there will be a baby soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to see Rachel so upset and miserable ... hopefully, she will be able to embrace her roles in life, and I'm thinking that this baby will be the one to lift her spirits. One door closes and another opens ...

    ReplyDelete